Valentine's Day Heart Wreath | A How-To

I've said it before and I'll say it again: I'm a fan of Valentine's Day. I'm not a huge fan of pink and I'm not one to overload on heart decorations, but I wanted to at least make our house a little festive during this month of love. So I scrounged up some supplies from my little craft closet and made a heart wreath. And you can to.



Materials needed: pom poms (here's a great tutorial), card stock, ribbon, scissors, and a glue stick.


Step 1: Cut your heart out of card stock. I used a 12 by 12 piece of scrapbook paper so that my heart would be big and fat.


Step 2: Glue the pom poms to the heart. I used some that were left over from Aubryn's baby shower and since they were a bit big, I only used six of them. Here's a great tutorial so that you can make some yourself.

Step 3: Attach a string to the back of your heart so you can hang it on your door or on an empty wall in your house. You can use a simple string (which was originally my plan) or get a little fancier and add a bow.



I ended up going the bow route. Here's how I did it:

First, cut yourself three pieces of ribbon. If your ribbon is an inch thick, use the following measurements: cut one at 16 inches, the second at 6 inches and the third at 3 inches. If your ribbon is thicker than an inch, you will want to make those measurements a little bigger.

Second, take the six inch piece of ribbon and wrap it around so that the two ends are overlapping. Glue them together. Then take the three inch piece of ribbon and wrap it around the middle of the first piece. Glue the two ends to the back of the first piece, over the spot where you glued the first two ends together.

Finally, take the 16 inch piece of string, fold it in half and twist it a bit so that you create a "V." Then glue your bow on top and glue your new little hanger to the back of your wreath.


Step 4: Hang that sucker up! I chose to hang it on our door as a wreath, but you can hang it on an empty wall, above the mantle, or in an empty frame.

Happy month of love, everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment

You are wonderful.